Become DogSafe® Certified!Whether you are a dog lover or a professional in a dog related business, you will benefit from the knowledge our DogSafe® First Aid courses provides.
Our First Aid Response courses are part of the certified DogSafe® program and earn Continuing Education Credits Approved by CCPDT, IACP and IAAB.
DOGSAFE® is the premier provider of canine first aid education and products across Canada, the USA, and around the world.
This course is designed to teach you the knowledge and skills to deal with a sick or injured dog until veterinary care is available. The topics are covered in-depth so that students have a thorough understanding of the principles of canine first aid.
Since this is a very comprehensive course, we need your full attention and dogs do not come to class.
Included in the class is a 116 page DOGSAFE® training and reference manual
($18.95 retail value).
Hours: 8 hours
Maximum: 12 students
Minimum Age: 14 yrs/10 yrs if parent also enrolled
Registration fee: $159.00 plus GST
Continuing Education Credits Approved by: CCPDT (7), IACP, (7) and IAAB
Next classes January 26th or January 27th, 2020, 9am-5pm.
In DOGSAFE® 101, You will Learn How to:• prevent common injuries
• conduct a head to tail assessment
• tell if your dog is experiencing pain
• recognize 4 signs of illness or injury
• respond to any emergency in 4 easy steps
• safely approach an injured dog
• take your dog's vital signs and 3 other health tests
• perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
• perform artificial respiration
• remove an airway obstruction (choking)
• prevent and treat for shock
• control deadly bleeding
• deal with penetrating objects
• prevent and treat eye injuries
• prevent and treat abdominal wounds
• recognize risk factors and respond to bloat
• prevent and respond to drowning
• assess and respond to bone and joint injuries
• prevent and respond to poisonings
• prevent and respond to frostbite and hypothermia
• prevent and respond to heatstroke
• treat minor burns
• treat various wounds
In DOGSAFE® 201, You will Learn How to:• read canine body language
• muzzle your dog with commercial and impromptu muzzles
• restrain your dog in a standing, sitting and laying down position
• transport your dog, with and without a stretcher
• take your dog's vital signs
• assess 3 other health tests
• practice proper positioning for artificial respiration (AR)
• practice proper positioning for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) - practice proper positioning for obstructed airway (choking)
• practice wound management, including bandaging eyes, ears, paws & tail
• assess for a bone or joint injury
This is all about hands-on practice with live dogs while under the supervision of a DOGSAFE® instructor. We do not force the dogs to do anything beyond their comfort zone and offer lots of intermissions and bathroom breaks.
All dogs must have vaccinations for canine distemper, canine parvovirus and rabies within the last three years. We also accept serum antibody titer tests.